Monday, July 23, 2012

Diners will always have a soft spot in my heart

Loyal blog followers have been wondering where I have been, and what accounts for the recent lack of posts. Well, trust be told, I am living out of state for the summer, and expanding the depths of my palate in the city of Philadelphia and nearby Delaware. In the midst of torturing myself by working two full time jobs (don't ask!), I have found few free moments to go out exploring new gastronomic sites. However, this past weekend, I did find my way back to a diner that really deserves a post. 


Maybe it will inspire some budding culinary entrepreneurs to re-open the former Dishes/Oasis/Comet diner on Farmington Ave to it's former retro fabulous glory. It's certainly in desperate need of some attention. So, Lucky's Coffee Shop is nothing short of a blast from the past. Given the number of qualified "hipsters" in this zip code, it is not at all out of place, and is a welcome dining choice. 




On a former visit to my aunt and cousin, a group of us had packed into her small car, huddling together for warmth in the frigid January weather and shuffled into the diner for a surprisingly warm, and funky restaurant. The interior of the diner has retro booths, beautiful retro lamps, servers wearing tee shirts with quotes originating from a generation named "Flo", "Sue" and the like. This time, since I was alone, I strolled up to the counter, one my favorite dining spots in restaurants. Anyplace that has swirling stools, reminds me of going to Friendly's as a kid with my grandfather to order a "cone head" and I am instantly won over. 
Sadly, my camera's battery died right after I took a picture of my food (coming up), so this picture was borrowed from "Delaware Today". Regardless, one of the best features of this "diner" is that you can have breakfast, lunch or dinner whenever you want. I immediately thought of my friend who is constantly having to suffer because breakfast stops being served at noon in most places, and that's not even mentioning the challenges of late breakfasts during the week. I settled on a spinach, tomato and feta cheese omelet. I was midway through asking for rye toast when the waitress mentioned that it came with a biscuit. Really? A biscuit? Well, I saw no need to mess with a good thing. 
Uhm it was divine! This really is a restaurant, as it is far better fare than you usually are dished out at most diners that I have ever been to. Truly a great experience, and my biscuit? Well that was basically dessert. Now, please somebody re-open my beloved diner in Hartford already!!!!
Link to menu: http://luckyscoffeeshop.com/PDF's/Luckys%20Menu%20may08.pdf


And if you ever find yourself in Delaware, or are passing through to get to your other destination, stop and experience this place, you won't regret it. 


Lucky's Coffee Shop website: http://luckyscoffeeshop.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment