Friday, August 24, 2012

Brandywine, and Morning Glories....

Lobby filled with photographs about voting in the 60's
Friday was a fabulous day in Philadelphia, and since it involved a trip to a "finer diner" it seems suitable to report on as a blog post. Perhaps it might inspire other foodies to make a day trip to Philadelphia and go explore what the city has to offer. We started the day with a visit to the Brandywine Workshop to get a private tour from my aunt's friend. The workshop is all about prints, and supporting and promoting culturally diverse artists. I soaked it all up and was inspired by the talented artists that are connected to the workshop. I left with a conviction that I wanted to invest in some prints in the near future (available on their website) and clutching my prized possession of the day, a beautiful book courtesy of Allan which contained many of the original pieces he showed us.

Next, we headed down the street to Sam's Morning Glory Diner. It was empty, as we arrived an hour before closing. They are a small, vintage diner that caters to a breakfast and lunch crowd. The owner passed away recently and there is a tribute to her on the wall. 

My aunt decided to try the warm beet and spinach sala topped with grilled chicken breast. The salad was such a nice combination of flavors, fresh and a HUGE amount of food to get through.


My lunch choice consisted of a warmed wrap stuffed with spanish queso cheese and fresh vegetables. Very tasty. It was accompanied by a side salad (that I wasn't charged for, because they were about to close), and homefries. My bottle of ketchup came in a recycled wine bottle, as they make their ketchup fresh on the premises. Pretty cool. 

As soon as we arrived in the diner and I saw the chalkboard with the daily pie specials, I knew that I wanted to try one. I would have been happy skipping lunch entirely and just going straight for the Cherry, Rhubarb and Strawberry pie, but decided it wasn't the healthiest choice, plus I would have let my readers down. Obviously I couldn't stop myself from diving right in and tasting it. I am usually always disappointed by pies, other than my moms (she makes the BEST!) but I have to say this was a close second. And topped with homemade whipped cream?!?

Our server was incredibly sweet and not only gave us each a Cranberry Cream Cheese muffin to take home, but indulged us with our requests for photographs. If you manage to visit here, he is the guy with the great Bulgarian accent...tell him we said hello! Also, this is a cash only establishment, so plan accordingly.

Website: http://www.themorningglorydiner.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment