Wednesday, August 7, 2013

To Curry with Love



I am on a constant quest to find the best Indian food. This obsession began in childhood when my family and subsequently friends, frequented Kashmir Restaurant in the South End of Hartford. Since its recent closing, I have been searching, largely unsuccessfully, for something comparable to satisfy my curry cravings. In the past few weeks however, I have made three visits to Bollywood Grill in Glastonbury and have had very tasty experiences. I was too hungry on the dinner visit to take time to photograph my food, but we sampled the Lamb Samosas, Navrattan Korma and Lamb Briyani and accompanied it with an order of Raiti and Paratha bread. My only complaint about dinner was that the waiter confused the level of spiciness in our orders, and I got the spicy one, and my companion was left wishing for a bit more. Since I love spice, I wasn't that upset over this. It was still delicious. 
The buffet is offered 7 days a week from 11:30-3:30. It is $8.95 during the week, and $10.95 on the weekends. The two dollars extra on the weekends means that you are given a glass of champagne along with your meal. The buffet is plentiful by all means. There were two types of soup to start off with. A traditional tomato, and sweet and sour soup. A basket of paratha bread was set up next to it, suggesting a logical paring. 
The remainder of the buffet table was chock full of delicacies such as biryani, saag paneer, lamb, chicken or fish curries, and on the 2nd visit I discovered a wonderful squash dumpling that I couldn't get enough of. The chefs at Bollywood Grill strike me as not only masterfully creating classic dishes full of flavor and spice, but also playfully reinterpreting these dishes with new twists. 
I struggled with getting through a second plate because I wanted to sample every dish that was laid out. So when I got to the end of the buffet where there were desserts, I wanted to explode. But I couldn't give up, because I had spotted a dessert among the traditional offerings that I really felt I needed to sample. It was a mango dessert which tasted like a mango lassi in a pudding/ ice cream consistency. I could have eaten several helpings of this alone! Overall, I will be going back to Bollywood Grill for a 4th, 5th, and many more visits in the very near future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment