Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Return of the Midweek Hangover: Sisson Tavern

Patio in back of Sisson Tavern
In the sudden realization that it is now August and that my postings in July were rather, uhm, sparse...I decided it was time to revitalize the "Return of the Midweek Hangover" discoveries that I had started writing the blog with. While last night found me at Bocca Rossa enjoying a balmy night, sidewalk tables, conversation with strangers passing by, cocoa flavored cigars and half priced bottle night. Tonight I shall most likely make my way to my new favorite Wed night spot. The Sisson Tavern has quietly grown in popularity as a local watering hole in Hartford's West End. It's the kind of place where the bartenders quickly learn your name and make a fuss over you when you stop by. The highly varnished bar and tables inside remind me of the cabin of my dad's sailboat in my youth. The drinks are cheap and strong. You can even find drum and bass night there on Thursdays. It's a place brimming with local personality. But it's most redeeming quality to me, is it's unparallelled offer of "free drinks" for Ladies Night on Wed (hence this post today) from 8pm to 10pm. Just when I thought nothing was for free anymore, Sisson Tavern comes to my rescue.  


UPDATED Word to the wise: Turns out that the Sisson Tavern was VERY quietly closed and sold this week. Here's hoping that the new owners continue the traditions that were begun. Ah, the quirks of a small, local bar....


Sisson Tavern: 86 Sisson Ave, Hartford, CT 06105
Ph. 860-956-5008
Open till 1am most nights, 2 am on Fri and Sat.

2 comments:

  1. My father used to bring Sisson Tavern pizza home on Friday nighto back in the early'60's. It was the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow thanks for sharing that bit of Hartford history!

    ReplyDelete