Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Foodie Adventures in Latin America: Panama, part I

For 9 days, I found myself traveling through the country of Panama. I was lucky enough to be there visiting a friend of mine who invited me to come and celebrate Carnival with him and his family. Our travels took us across the country from the province of Darien and the town of Torti, for a "Mantanza" (which will be in my second post- as I am eagerly awaiting those pictures), to Las Tablas where I stayed as a houseguest of two wonderful people named Chichi and Ferra.

In Las Tablas, my favorite meals were probably the breakfasts that Chichi prepared for us. At the back of the house, in the ranch, chickens and dogs milled about the yard while she chopped the maize (corn) in a grinder similar to making hamburger meat. Then she would form a large tortilla using her hands and cook it on the constructed grill. This was made of cinder blocks, a metal stand hoisted over the flames, and a circular surface for cooking.


The tortilla was then cooked on both sides till it started to blacken slightly, at which point she flipped it with a knife. She served this in warm wedges, with pork or chicken meat and broth and simmered vegetables. Combined with a cup of sweetened cafe negro, I was in heaven.

Chichi and Ferra are pretty self sufficient and don't have to rely on going to a market. From the rice and corn that they have stored and can use to meet their own needs or to sell, to the abundance of fresh eggs, and a property overflowing with fruits like noni and mangos, there isn't much to want for.
One of my favorite discoveries on the property was when my friend brought over a small brown pod that had just begun to open. When he opened it up, I saw that it was chock full of red berries. I recognized them as "annato" seeds that I had used in cooking school for pan frying in oil with tofu to create the yellow color for a vegan scrambled tofu breakfast.

The usage that I encountered in Panama however was unexpected, as the annato pods were used to color and flavor spaghetti! And I have to say that I think I prefer the taste of it over tomato sauce. I had to help myself to seconds! The spaghetti was served over rice, which was an odd combination for me, and with chicken and plantains (my favorite)!!!
  
Chichi sharpening her blade in preparation of cooking:


I put the location down at Las Tablas District because the actual name of the town appears to be too small to show up on the map. For information purposes, the name is: El Carate however.

No comments:

Post a Comment