Thursday, March 15, 2012

Pierogies are a girls' best friend: dining at the PNH

It still baffles me that the Polish National Home is often referred to as a well kept "secret" lunch spot smack in downtown Hartford. The solid square building was designed by a Polish-American Hartford architect named Henry F. Ludorf in 1929, and no it's not sideways. At the time that it was built, the entrance faced Governors Street, but that street disappeared in 1960 when the city decided to build a housing project.
As a child, I spent alot of time visiting the Polish National Home. I took traditional folk dancing classes in the evenings and performed in holiday pageants. The Russian Orthodox church that my family attended offered classes ever so briefly, so as a result, I spent years mastering both Polish and Ukrainian dancing instead. It's fun to return as an adult and be able to enter the restaurant/ bar which was strictly off limits to me before. One item of curiosity to take note of is that smoking is still allowed in the dining room. The reason for this, is because it is classified as a private club, although being open to the public. Hmm. Good news for some, and probably a turnoff for other readers. However, I have to report that as a non-smoker, on the days that I have visited, I didn't notice a lingering cloud, or the smell of rank ashtrays.  

My favorite meal is one that begins with a bowl of kapusniak. This is a traditional cabbage soup made with a beef stock and chopped vegetables. My friend and I practically inhaled ours, as we dunked our slices of buttered bread in to absorb the remnants of broth. They also offer soup selections on their list of specials such as split pea with kielbasa, and borscht (beet soup).
If it's your first time to the PNH, you might start off with a typical platter which has pierogi, kielbasa slices and sauerkraut. Fluffy, fried potatoe pancakes served with sour cream and apple sauce are also a good introduction. Or jump right into a kielbasa sandwich, making sure to add horseradish for some kick. Personally I went for my favorite, pierogi sauteed in butter and onions with a side of sour cream. They sell them individually for $1.50, versus an "order". As that might indicate, one of the best features of the PNH is the old fashioned prices, which I hope never change.  

Location: 60 Charter Oak Avenue, Hartford, CT
Phone: 860-247-1784
Closed on Mondays

No comments:

Post a Comment