Friday, April 12, 2013

Happiness = coconut and curry

For quite some time, I had been avoiding checking out the relatively recently opened Sweet Chili 312 Thai Restaurant. It was a bias that I had carried with me from the previous tenant of the restaurant, a Siamese place that I had found in earlier years to be somewhat of a disappointment. However, I am happy to report, that the new occupants of the space have done exceptionally well at creating a serene dining atmosphere and some wonderful new takes on classic thai flavors and dishes. My dish in the above picture was a delightful combination of spicy yellow curry sauce balanced with coconut milk. It was tossed with onions, pineapple, tofu and tomatoes. 
One of my dining companions for the evening tried the grilled jumbo shrimp which were served on skewers, accompanied by a chili lime sauce, and was quite pleased with the portion, preparation and flavor of the meal. The other sampled a vegetarian dish of sauteed vegetables with tofu called Pad Pik Pow, in which they were tossed in a traditional Thai roasted chili sauce.


 I have visited a few times before deciding to take the photos and write the post, and I happy to say that I think Sweet Chili will be around for a long while. Service is excellent, the food quality is consistent, atmosphere is lovely. And, most importantly to me, there are many tasty vegetarian options! While I usually recommend that diners in search of good Thai food stay in Parkville, this is one that is worth crossing from Park St over to Park Rd to enjoy. 

Website: http://www.sweetchilli312.com