Friday, December 6, 2013

Why not be different and make it a "green" holiday season???

Try as I might this year, I just cannot seem to get into the "holiday spirit" of being a consumer and trolling the malls, waiting in lines, and stressing out over finding that perfect gift for people. Maybe it's the fact that the holidays seem pushed upon us sooner and sooner each year, making me subsequently rebel so that my disinterest in the holiday gradually increases so much that I wait till a few days before Christmas and then I run around in a mad dash. Maybe I have simply become such a fan of "un-cluttering" my life, that the idea of filling my life and others with more stuff seems so wildly unappealing. Or it could just be my inner hippie consciousness rising to the surface again thinking about everything that is going on in the world. Whatever the reason, I started thinking about previous posts that I wrote on gifts to get a foodie. I wondered if I could still write that post this year. I realized I could, but with a slightly different slant. Here are some beginning ideas that have been formulating in my mind for what to get the foodie in your life this year.
Goat


A $12 pack of seeds? $50 to send a goat to a family? $100 to support a woman entrepreneur? Even a gift a little as $20 could irrigate a farmer's land for 2 months! Oxfam America is a global organization working to right the wrongs of poverty, hunger, and injustice. As one of 17 members of the international Oxfam confederation, we work with people in more than 90 countries to create lasting solutions. Oxfam saves lives, develops long-term solutions to poverty, and campaigns for social change. More gift ideas: https://www.oxfamamericaunwrapped.com/all-gifts/
 
 Or spend $20 on a "Foodie's Delight" at Natural Resources Defense Counsel to help grow the local and organic food movement. Keep the foodies in your life happy and healthy with this mouth-watering gift! You’ll be helping NRDC to grow the local and organic food movement and ensure that all of us have access to an abundant supply of healthy, locally-grown food, free of pesticides and other toxins. It’s the perfect way to honor your loved ones’ commitment to delicious food that’s good for us and good for the planet. Check out this and other ideas at: https://www.nrdcgreengifts.org/gifts

No comments:

Post a Comment