Friday, January 3, 2014

Arepas all the time…

During my time in Colombia, I have had a steady intake of various kinds of arepas. I have had them for breakfast in the morning filled with queso and a fried egg, seen miniature sized ones replacing fries, as well as being my go-to favorite food for lunch or dinner. So what is an arepa? Basically, it is a flat, round, unleavened patty consisting of soaked, ground kernels of maize, maizemeal or maize flour mixed with water and salt. It is then grilled, baked, fried, boiled or steamed. The characteristics vary by color, flavor, size, and its stuffing depend on the region. Possibilities include: meat, eggs, tomatoes, salad, cheese, shrimp, or fish depending on the meal. 
One of my favorites has been at a restaurant down the street from where I am staying. It was stuffed with chicken, vegetables and cheese. What makes eating these even more enjoyable is the selection of sauces for squeezing onto each bite. Pina (pineapple sauce), tartara and salsa rosada seem to be the most popular. Each time I go to have one, I feel confident that I am hungry enough to have two, after all, they don’t look that big, right? Forget it, by the final few bites, I am always struggling to finish. But so far, I always squeeze on that last bit of tartara and pop the crispy end into my mouth. Arepas from Colombia might be the food that I miss the most at the end of this trip. I have had them back home, and while I certainly enjoy them, and I encourage you to try one when you have the opportunity, nothing compares to the real thing.

I have to add something about the atmosphere of this place which put a smile on my face. There was a bottle of water on the floor by the door, and also a line of plastic baggies nailed to a rear wall also filled with water. My initial thought was that they were to serve as a reminder of the power of the natural world, when I inquired, I also found out that they are used to purify the space. I absolutely adore this concept. 


No comments:

Post a Comment