Monday, October 6, 2014

Life on the beach in Colombia is a feast

An afternoon at the beach in Colombia is a real foodie experience. One of my most memorable was when my boyfriend took me to Playa Blanca. As soon as we arrived, he selected some fresh fish for us to be prepared for our lunch while we went snorkeling. After an hour or so, a platter of fried fish, coconut rice, salad, and fried plantains arrived. No paper plates or plastic silverware to deal with either.

As if this wasn’t enough, we continued to splurge. Vendors make their way across the sand offering massages, jewelry, and tropical drinks. But we were more interested in ones hawking food. Dessert included freshly cut mango pieces, and then an array of homemade confectionaries, carried in a large bowl skillfully balanced on top of a woman’s head. 
Delicious fritters of coconut, sesame seed brittle, or a spongy coconut and yuca cake were some of the ones we tried. Each one was tastier than the last. Although I could eat the yuca all day long. Lastly, we also tried oysters! This was my second time trying these little morsels and I would now say I am a fan. One of the vendors came to sit down beside us and then got busy opening the shells to hand to us. 

One after another, they came. Lime juice was squeezed and hot sauce added. By the end of the day, I was quite full, warm from the sun, and feeling like I had been treated like a queen. This is the only way to go to the beach. Now, I am forever spoiled.  



No comments:

Post a Comment