Friday, June 24, 2011

Welcome addition to the neighborhood

It was last fall when I first encountered The Hartford Baking Company when I purchased a loaf of bread from them at the local farmer's market. While I wasn't impressed with the bread (that was when they had just opened) at the time, I recall thinking that they had great promise and that I should give them a bit of time to work out the kinks and then check back on them. Well, I am glad that I did. Actually, sidetracking a bit, in case any of you are wondering why you never see me post "bad" or "negative" reviews on a place, it's not because I don't experience bad service, dingy atmosphere, or food that makes you physically ill. I do! But after years in the food service industry I have learned that a bad review can literally shut down a business, when perhaps they just haven't gotten into the swing of things yet. Thus, all you will see me review are places that are a consistant enjoyable experience. Plus you don't have to get bogged down in reading about places that aren't worth your time.

Anyway, I am feeling very confident about The Hartford Baking Company's survival in the neighborhood. While they are located in the industrial, and newly dubbed "home design" district on the Hartford/ West Hartford line, don't let that factor deter you, there are many reasons to travel over and check them out. Firstly, they are open at 7:30 am during the week, a total blessing for those of us who have to be at work by 8am, but need a jolt of coffee first. This is an outstanding feature if you ask me. Secondly, the coffee is roasted by Stumptown Coffee Roasters in Brooklyn every week, and it definately is evident in the taste. If you are like me, and hate bitter, dried out beans that then have to be masked by syrup and chocolates like the coffee served at Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts, then you are going to love this place. There is no need to cover anything up. You might even want your coffee black!

The baked goods are lovely, and the scone that I ordered with my cafe au lait was moist, not overly sweet, and chock full of crystalized pieces of ginger. Since I am very particular about my scones (this of course began on a trip to England with my grandparents) and usually end up being disappointed, I was thrilled with my choice this morning and can't wait to go back this weekend to try another flavor.

In addition, they have recently started to offer lunch, and the menu looks very appealing, and affordable. Also, there is a very cute outdoor seating area for you to enjoy that should have wide appeal due to the overall lack of places to sit outside in the Hartford area. Check out the menu and more on their website: http://hartfordbaking.com/ and by all means, report back, I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment