Friday, May 10, 2013

Ruminations about Mother's Day

Does anything remind us of our mothers and grandmothers more than the comforting foods that they have lovingly prepared for us thoughout our lives? For me, more than anything else, my mother's cooking is something that invokes my sense of place, and feeling like I am home. My favorites include her homemade breads, chipolte corn chowder, pierogi, cranberry pie, and grains with steamed greens and pumpkin seed dressing. For my grandmother, I will always associate her with homemade beef jerky, almond paste cookies, and coconut cake.

It is in thinking about foods and mothers, that I found the work of the photographer, Gabriele Galimberti especially appealing. He has created a virtual cookbook with portrait photographs of grandmothers around the world showing their best dishes. The site is called "Delicatessen with Love" and is composed with obvious adoration and respect for mothers and grandmothers around the world. Not only are the images stunning, but each photograph also has a small tab beneath it stating "more info" which presents the recipe so you can try to recreate the beautiful dishes yourself.

Happy Mother's Day to all the wonderful women and cooks around the world!

Check out his project here: http://www.gabrielegalimberti.com/projects/delicatessen-with-love-2/

No comments:

Post a Comment