Saturday, January 1, 2011

Laotian-Thai at East West Grille



Funny how you can pass a place by for years and years and not think to stop and give it a try. Sadly, that was what I did to East West Grille, a brightly decorated diner on New Park Ave. Luckily that changed when a friend of mine started working there and asked me to come over and check it out for lunch this week. I was pleasantly surprised by the atmosphere that greeted me when I opened the door. A bright, sparkling clean space that was bathed in warm sunlight. Paper lanterns hang from the ceilings, and straw hats adorn the retro coat racks. Smooth sultry singers croon in the background. 

The combination made me feel like I was somewhere in California, definitely not in the quasi industrial section of West Hartford. The menu is almost overwhelming with how many options are offered. The menu is split between Thai and Laos, and even more interestingly, if you come from 7-12 you can get an American breakfast as well. I would call this place the embodiment of an "American" restaurant, as it is truly a fusion of many cultures. We decided to sample  some classic dishes, and ordered the Drunken Noodles with Tofu and the Seafood Pad Thai. Notably, and quite important...the food was deliciously flavorful and full of spice! I was also amazed with how quickly the food was prepared, without sacrificing quality. With the lovely spiciness, it is advisable to order a traditional Thai iced coffee or tea to cool your palate. 


For dessert I just had to try one of my favorites, the coconut sticky rice with sliced mango on top. Mmmmmm!!! Served warm atop a banana leaf, it is simply irresistible. 


Website: http://www.eastwestgrille.com/

2 comments:

  1. Its also worth noting that their produce is supplied mainly by local farms! Their massaman curry is my favorite in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for mentioning that Laura! I am a huge fan of supporting local farmers. :)

    ReplyDelete