Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Green Velvet and buttery Coconut Soup...mmmmm

You can print this coupon off the restaurant website
     It's been such a long time that Kashmir has been a staple in my dining repertoire, that I can no longer remember the first time that I ate there. Neither can I remember being greeted and served by anyone other than Martin, who has owned the restaurant for 28 years. Despite my going to check out other new Indian restaurants that have opened in the Hartford area, such as Bombay Spice, Indian Oven, Taste of India, etc, I always return to Kashmir. Some of the reasons for this. I crave foods that actually have spices in them. One of my biggest peeves is going to an ethnic food restaurant and the flavors and spices have been mutilated to suit "american tastes", which in my book equals drab, bland, flavorless, and almost inedible. I can't think of a greater travesty to the foodie palate.
     One of the most comforting things about Kashmir is how relaxed it is. I love going there after an especially gruelling day and sinking into one of the green velvet booths, and spoiling myself with a bowl of buttery coconut soup and letting the stresses of the day melt away with each sip. Dinner is always equally pleasurable. Some of my favorites are the Channa Masala, Okra or Baingan Bartha. Best of all, Martin serves your meal with a nice bunch of side dishes; yellow lentils, cabbage and red onion chutney at no extra cost. And you have to make sure to get an order of their nice and buttery paratha bread to scoop up your food with. In case you can't tell, I adore butter. And I adore Kashmir. Maybe that should be where I go for dinner tonight. Hmmmmm.    

Website: http://www.kashmirhartford.com/ (partial menu)

1 comment:

  1. We just adore this restaurant. Best Indian food and service in Connecticut. Everything there tastes wonderful and correct. They have a really excellent mulligatawny soup.

    ReplyDelete