Tuesday, September 21, 2010

"El Sarape" in Frog Hollow

Many people that I encounter react in horror when I tell them some of the places that I traverse to in search of good eats, because they are plainly scared for my safety. Honestly speaking though, it's not the fact that I think that I am invincible and that nothing will ever happen to me, but that there is such a gross misconception about most of Hartford's neighborhoods. And those fears get encouraged and inflated by the irresponsible media who continually construes Hartford as a city where your life will be threatened at every turn. Part of the point of my blog is to dispel those myths for Hartford as well as other cities in the state. Hartford is an incredibly rich and diverse city with so many warm and friendly people and so many cuisines for the true foodie to sample.

One of the places that is definitely rich with cuisines and cultures is Frog Hollow in Hartford. If people know of Frog Hollow, they think it is named for the French population who were one of the many ethnic groups that came to Hartford in the Industrial age to work in our factories. Other groups that have and still do populate the area are; Puerto Ricans, Swedish, Danish, Greek, Irish, German and French Canadians. And the name was given to the area actually because of the Park River which used to overflow and created marshy conditions in that section of the city.
"Burritos de Pollo"

A good place to start exploring is by checking out El Sarape. It’s a smallish place with a walk up counter in the first room where you can get take out food and order one of the lavish cakes made on premise, and then there is a second room for dining with pictures by Diego Rivera gracing the colorful walls. I was taken to this restaurant years ago and it has become my go to place for authentic Mexican fare (I will not go to a Taco Bell, even if I am starving). Since I am one of those people who just gets hungry as soon as I walk into a place and smell the food cooking, I am always very happy with places that bring you things to munch on. Warm tortilla chips and salsa hit the spot!

The portions are gigantic (but then again, I have a small stomach!) and I haven't tried any appetizers yet because I know that I will have a hard enough time with my entree. Besides the Chicken Burrito (in the picture above) I have also tried the Enchiladas Poblanas which was divine! They are rolled corn tortillas that can be stuffed with cheese, chicken or beef and then they are rolled in red or green sauce and topped with sour cream. I ordered the green sauce partially cause I didn't know any better and partially cause I was feeling adventurous. Wow, did it ever pack a punch, and I loved every spicy bite of it! I would recommend a cooling drink to accompany whatever food you try. My favorite (I order it with my meal, otherwise it's gone before the food comes!) is the Orcheta which is a rice milk and cinnamon drink. They have really good Limeade as well. 

I found out on my last visit that they are also serving breakfast now from 10-1pm. Some of the selections sound mouthwatering and I can't wait to head back there to try them. 

Address: 931 Broad Street, Hartford, CT
Phone: 860-547-1884
Hours: Closed Tuesdays, Open Monday- Sunday

1 comment:

  1. The Chiles Rellenos and Chicken Suizas Enchiladas are really terrific at El Sarape. And thanks for dispelling the perception that Hartford is routinely unsafe as projected by the mass media. There's a much more approachable reality that can expand ones tastes and mind if one makes the attempt.

    FYI, El Sarape has a counterpart on Route 5 in Enfield called Sarape that is just as good if one happens to be in the North/Central section of the state. It's one of the few Mom and Pop establishments up there that isn't a pizzeria and is definitely valued.

    ReplyDelete