Friday, September 2, 2011

Solutions for the ceaseless problem of.....what's for lunch!?

As both a busy working gal and chipping away at finishing my masters degree, I always find myself strapped for time, and cash. But lately I have taken the time to structure my weekly lunch options that are under $5 a day and that are still healthy, and have had a bevy of folks approach me to express jealousy when my lunch is compared with their boring sandwiches or leftovers. So, I figured it was time to share my discoveries.

Indian food is a staple in my life. I love spice, I love curries, and there are many vegetarian options. I have previously written about Cosmos in West Hartford for their lunch counter, but what I really like to stock up on there, are their frozen lunch meals and frozen naan bread to accompany.
A package of naan bread will cost you $2.99, but has 4-5 pieces so I usually individually wrap them in plastic wrap and use one to accompany each lunch. The lunches made by DEEP really are the best, but there are other offerings in the freezer that you may want to check out too, and they are even cheaper. DEEP entrees are between $3.39-$3.99. They are all vegetarian. DEEP has recently come out with a new meal as well that includes basmati rice, entree and a side dish (usually a dal or other bean dish).
Kashi meals, which you can find in the health food section of Stop & Shop (and probably any other mega supermarkets) have recently come out with a whole bunch of healthy frozen meals. They are around $4 an entree, and the selections include; Tuscan Veggie Bake, Black Bean Mango, Lemongrass Coconut Chicken, Red Curry Chicken, Veggie Chana Masala and Pesto Pasta Primavera. I would have to say handsdown though that my favorite is the Mayan Harvest Bake which has Quinoa (when do you ever see that in a frozen meal?), plantains, polenta and 7 whole grains. YUM!
I see nothing wrong with headed over to your local Trader Joes (hopefully there is one near you) and visiting the frozen food aisle to raid their latest offerings. My sister who has worked there for years has turned me on to many good products that I probably wouldn't have considered otherwize. Today's meal was Shitake Mushrooms and Tofu in a Spicy Pepper sauce over Basmati Rice. Seriously not bad for under $5.

My friends jokingly call Whole Foods, the "Whole Paycheck" and while there is certainly some truth in that, I have found a single instance where that isn't true. If you head over to the prepared food section, usually near the baked goods, there is a fridge that is chock full of goodies for the amazing price of...2 for $5!!!! Yep, for just $2.50 you can get a Ceaser Salad, Mixed Greens with Goat Cheese, Quinoa salad, Chicken Salad (which really lasts when you buy a baguette to enjoy it with), Golden Sesame Tofu and other offerings.

So there you have it! Some of my recent discoveries under $5. What are some of yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment