Thursday, July 1, 2010

The return of midweek hangovers... part I


I had many fond memories of dashing between restaurants trying to squeeze into that elusive time slot between 4-6pm when I was a broke college student. Two dollar drinks or even cheaper...I vaguely recall one happy hour that only asked me to empty my pockets and sprinkle the bar with silver. Oh and then there was the free food....there was pizza, mini burgers, cheese plates, interesting tidbits that can only be classified as "bar food creations" veggie crudites, and of course more pizza. Nowadays, my budget is different and so is my tastes. I have traded in the well drinks in favor of martinis and sangrias, but I still like to find a great restaurant that offers up good happy hour specials for it's thirsty patrons.

Last night, I went by Feng Asian Bistro on Asylum St in Harford. For some reason, this happy hour has always remained somewhat of a secret. They offer a terrific menu where you can try their designer rolls for $5 when they usually are over $10, and regular rolls and sushi prices linger around $2-$5. Sweet Potato rolls for $2? This is sushi bliss. Even more incredible, this is one of the only places where you can get a full sized (not a teensy sized, hard to hold, can't believe I am being seen with this) martini chock full of top shelf liquors for only $5!!!!! Best deal in town in my opinion, and I am addicted. My favorite is their Lychee martini. http://www.fengrestaurant.com/


Next on my list of great happy hours, please please please do yourself a favor and stop by Barca in the Design Center off of Park Street in Hartford. For some reason, this place just doesn't seem to pull large crowds, which I certainly cannot figure out. It has amazing food, plenty of parking (which people in Hartford always lament over), great atmosphere...I mean the lights in the entrance way are made out of wine bottles for gods sakes, and you can wander the halls of the Design Center lusting over the fabulous finds for your abode. So, what's not to love? At happy hour, you can find me perched at the bar enjoying their $5 sangria specials and basically inhaling their selection of tapas. I am constantly burning the roof of my mouth because I can't stand waiting for the codfish and potato fritters to cool off. You can try 2 tapas for $6 or 4 of them for $11. I particuarly enjoy the open air part of the restaurant, somehow it makes me feel like I am in California. Best of all- their happy hour lasts an extra hour and doesn't end till 7pm!

More happy hours to come as I continue to sip my way around the city and the state. Because really, there is nothing better than the creation of happy hour.... well maybe besides the invention of the spork. That was genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment